Body mass index (BMI) is a measure of body fat based on height and weight that applies to adult men and women.
How to use this calculator
- Enter your weight in pounds
- Enter your height in inches
- Click the Calculate BMI button
- Your BMI and status is displayed below.
What does my number mean?
- Below 18.5 is considered underweight.
- 18.5 to 24.9 is considered healthy.
- 25 to 29.9 is considered overweight.
- 30 or higher is considered obese.
- 30.0 to 34.9 is Class 1 obesity.
- 35.0 to 39.9 is Class 2 obesity.
- 40.0 or higher is Class 3 "severe" obesity.
Teens and children
Try the BMI calculator for young people offered by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. It takes growth charts into account for more accuracy.